I finally took my Tascam DR-07 out for a test run at the men's lacrosse game Saturday versus Lasell College, thinking it would be cool to put together an audio slideshow, not just to keep my skill sharp, but also to prove my worth even more to work.


Well listening to the audio, it didn't work out as I planned.

I need to figure out a better system for one. Lacrosse isn't one of those sports that I can just put the recorder behind the goal and feel safe knowing that it won't get run over. No, lacrosse they get to run AROUND the goal. So there goes getting up close audio like that, of course nobody has the great black bottom to their goal like field hockey...makes for epic audio when there's a goal.

Anyways, back to the situation I have found myself in. I put my recorder on the sidelines, and stepped back a few feet behind it, so that it wouldn't pick up the shutter of my camera. Nope. I guess it is more a stereo recorder than directional. Oh well. There is one lesson learned. So some of my audio has the click, click, click, repeated when the action was close, just when I also could be getting hopefully prime field audio. Go figure.

So I made my way to the Keene State College sideline and tried to get some audio there. Did better, but not great. This time around, I had the recorder in my back pocket, so every time I moved, guess what it picked up. So as I listened to 15 seconds of decent audio, I all of a sudden hear 5 minutes of talking, yelling, and my ass rubbing against the microphone of my recorder. AWESOME!


The recorder is awesome. I love the fact that I can take out the SD card and put it right into my computer, not have to worry about a card reader or cables. If only Apple could put a CF slot on their Macbook Pro laptops, than I would be the happiest person. One less 2.0 USB port taking up space. I need a to have my mouse and 1 TB external hard drive in!

I guess I am stuck with this audio until the 10th when the next home game is. Hopefully I can have figured out something by then. Pay some random freshman or sophomore in beer or something to hold my recorder where I say to and not do anything for an entire game. I'm sure they would love that.

Just a thought.

0 Responses so far.

Post a Comment