Live view, it's nothing super new, but still something worth noting.


Introduced in 2007 in DSLRs like the Canon 40D and 1D Mark III or Nikon D300 and D3, and has been improved upon as technology has gotten better. The ability to zoom during live view alone has made the photo taking curve change so much. Now cameras have the ability to have auto focus, levels for an even horizon, and face detection which is popular in many point and shoots.

A good way to understand how it works and a video is one that dpreview.com put up for the Nikon D5000.

I had to shoot a dance the other night, it was lit only with orange and purple party lights, so I pulled out my flash and started taking photos. As I did, I continued to check my photos and wasn't impressed. Either they were soft or just out of focus. So I took the power of live view and it's ability to magnify to its full advantage. Granted I lost auto focus on my 40D, but my photos were coming out better than they were before. Even with it being poorly lit, I was able to set my camera to a medium ISO and with the flash create photos that were exactly what I was looking for when I was going in there to begin with.

I'm glad that DSLRs now have the P&S live view screen, except it doesn't have to be on all the time, thank god.

0 Responses so far.

Post a Comment